Stewardship at Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church
Making a Pledge, Making a Difference
What is a pledge of support?
At Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church a pledge is a commitment to make a financial donation of a specific amount for a specific year.
Why is it important to make a pledge of support to Live Oak?
By making a pledge to Live Oak, you are supporting community outreach, social justice, life span religious education, liberal religious values, and our spiritual home. You are making a difference in the world!
Why does Live Oak request pledges for the following year?
Just as we all have bills to pay, so too does Live Oak. Monthly commitments like paying church staff, childcare and utility bills quickly come to mind. Once the maintenance expenses are covered, the church can spend money for spiritual, outreach, social, and other special programs. Live Oak makes a budget in the fall for the following year. Only by knowing what income to anticipate in the coming year, can the church commit to funding the building expenses and the programs. Even if you are making regular contributions in one year, the church needs to know what it can count on for the following year.
How much should I/we pledge?
People are often looking for a way to confirm that they have done their part in supporting our liberal religious community. Here are some general guidelines to help calculate your pledge.
Stewardship Pledge Levels
- Supporter: Your commitment to contribute at least 1% of your income as a gift to the church in support of our UU values.
- Sustainer: Your commitment to contribute from 2 to 4% of your income as a gift to the church to sustain the ministries of the church.
- Visionary: Your commitment to contribute 5% of your income as a gift to the vision of what Live Oak can become.
- Extraordinary Giver: Your extraordinary commitment to contribute over 5% of your income and to lead by example inspiring others with your generosity.
These levels are guidelines and targets. We hope you find them useful as you make your pledge. However, whatever the size of your contribution, it will be greatly appreciated.
How to Make Your Pledge
You can make a pledge by
- Completing the pledge form that is mailed to you during the fall pledge drive and depositing it in the pledge box in the Fellowship Hall,
- Printing and completing the printable pledge form that you find on the Live Oak website and mailing it to Live Oak or bringing it by the church office, or
- Completing the online pledge form.
During the fall pledge drive, pledge forms are available to be completed and place in the pledge form box located in the narthex.
How to Pay Your Pledge
Live Oak takes many forms of payments including cash, checks and appreciated stock or securities. In addition, you can set up automatic deductions from your account through your bank’s bill pay or you can set it up for Live Oak UU to automatically pull money from your account. We are in the process of setting up credit and debit card processing. Your contributions are 100% tax-deductible.
You may also make a donation online.
Stewardship – Stock Donation
Donations of appreciated stock or other securities
Donations of stock allow for maximum stewardship for some individuals.
Gifts of stock held more than one year offer two unique advantages:
- A gift of stock to the church avoids capital gains tax for you on the increase in the value of the stock
- You receive a deduction for the full market value of the stock at the time of the gift to the church.
Check with your qualified tax advisor for specifics related to your personal situation.
The church has a brokerage account that was established for the sole purpose of accepting contributions in the form of shares of stock. Any brokerage firm will be able to initiate a stock transfer with the following information.
Brokerage account is at TD Ameritrade
Account name: Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church
Broker transit number: #451
When you plan to transfer stock, please send an e-mail to: DonateStock@liveoakuu.org so that the sale of the stock can be completed and your pledge accurately credited.
You also can direct any questions to DonateStock@liveoakuu.org