Our Whole Lives – OWL
7th – 8th Grade O.W.L Coming January 2018
We regret that we can only offer OWL to current Live Oak families at this time. If you are interested in OWL in the future, or if we have any space available, please fill out this form and you will be notified of available classes.
Parent Orientation (this is mandatory and requires the participation of all custodial family members, children and youth do not participate)
7th/8th: Dec. 10, 1-4
4th-6th and 10th-12th: Will not be offered until 2018/2019 school year
Tentative starting date and time for the program:
7th/8th – January 14, 1-4 p.m.
For more information, contact Carrie Krause, Director of Lifespan Faith Development, firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMPREHENSIVE SEXUALITY EDUCATION
The information our children get in public school only covers one-fifth of the areas of sexuality – only sexual health and reproduction. OWL covers all five areas. It is a comprehensive program that has been taught and developed over 40 years.
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Offers…
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
Our Whole Lives Values…
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.