Our Whole Lives – OWL
Upcoming OWL Classes
We will be offering OWL for 7th and 8th grades beginning in January 2020. This is an intense course with 3+ hour classes most Sunday afternoons between mid-January through late April. A mandatory parent meeting is scheduled for December 8 from 1-4:30 pm. Priority for this class will be given to Live Oak members. If you are not a member but are interested in participating, please complete the form found here. Please note there is a fee of $125 for this program.
COMPREHENSIVE SEXUALITY EDUCATION
The information our children get in public school only covers one-fifth of the areas of sexuality – only sexual health and reproduction. OWL covers all five areas. It is a comprehensive program that has been taught and developed over 40 years.
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Offers…
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
Our Whole Lives Values…
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.