2018 OWL Young Adult & Adult Facilitator Training
August 24 – 26, 2018
Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church
3315 El Salido Parkway
Cedar Park, Texas 78613
What is O.W.L.?
Honest, accurate information about sexuality changes lives. It dismantles stereotypes and assumptions, builds self acceptance and self esteem, fosters healthy relationship, improves decision making, and has the potential to save lives. For these reasons and more, we are proud to offer this portion of Our Whole Lives (OWL), a comprehensive, lifespan sexuality education training, for those who would like to teach this curriculum in their congregations. http://www.uua.org/re/owl
Cost $250, includes meals and training only.
Participants are responsible for purchasing their own curricula and bringing it to the class. Books may be purchased through the UUA bookstore. Some congregations have copies that they can send with their facilitators, so please check with your church staff.
Participants are also responsible for making their own arrangements for accommodations and transportation to and from the airport.
Writer and educator, Judith travels widely as an active OWL trainer at all three levels and since 2008 has been an OWL facilitator both at her home church, Plymouth Congregational, and in a school setting. A retired language arts teacher, Judith recently finished Sexuality and Our Faith for Older Adults, which OWL will release in spring 2019. Her devotional Living the Ancient Psalms: Messages for Modern Life was published by Barnes and Noble and has led to a series of workshops for older adults. An avid quilter, she lives in Lawrence, KS, with her wife of 34 years, and their daughter, grandson, and Wheaton terrier, Amazing Grace.
Mary Chapman McIntosh has been a counselor and sex educator for more than 30 years. She started teaching About Your Sexuality in 1988 and has been teaching Our Whole Lives since it was published by the UUA. Mary has trained at the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality and had a private counseling practice specializing in the areas of human sexuality and sexual abuse. Her focus in this work is always sex-positive, that is it focuses on the life-enhancing aspects of sexuality while bringing attention to the negative aspects. Currently, Mary is a Capacity Building Coordinator for the HIV/STD Services Branch of the Texas Department of State Health and works closely with youth-related service providers to prevent HIV/STD and teen pregnancy. She lives with her husband near Austin, TX.
|Friday, 8/24||Saturday, 8/25||Sunday, 8/26|
|5:00 Arrival, light meal||8:00 Breakfast||8:00 Breakfast|
|6:15 – 9:30 Facilitator Training Class||8:45 Class opening||9:00 Class opening|
|12:00 Lunch||12:00 Lunch|
|1:00 – 5:30 Class||1:00 – 2:30 Class|
|6:30 – 9:00 Class|
Points to note:
- You are responsible for making your own arrangements for transportation to and from the airport.
- Please note that Friday evening traffic in Austin is considerable so allow adequate time when booking your flight or when driving into town.
- The church will be open at 4:00 p.m. if you arrive early and want to come straight here.
- Transportation from Bergstrom International Airport – the cost of Uber or Lyft from the airport is approximately $50.
- We suggest you coordinate with others attending the event to ride share. We will provide contact information ahead of time for those who give permission when registering.
- We will arrange transportation from hotel to church and back beginning Friday evening.
You are responsible for making your own arrangements.
- Limited home hospitality is available and is first come/first served. This does not include transportation to/from the airport. Please indicate this choice on your registration form.
- We have booked a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn Express on HWY 620 & 183.
- Rooms may be booked using this link.
- This offer expires on August 10, 2018. All rooms have two double beds and a sleeper sofa.
- Rate is $119/night and there is no cost for third person in the room.
- If asked, let them know you are with the Live Oak Unitarian Universalist group. We can help facilitate room-sharing by providing information to registrants if you request it on your registration form.
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED.
Payments still being accepted
After you have submitted your registration form, please return to this page to complete your payment. You have two options: 1) pay online or 2) pay via check.
Click the blue button below. Under the Donate page you will see OWL. Enter the amount ($250) and click one-time payment. Proceed to the next page where you will enter your payment information.
Pay via check
If you choose to mail a check, please make it out to Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church and put “OWL Training” in the memo line. Checks should be mailed to:
3315 El Salido Parkway
Cedar Park, TX 78613
Attn: OWL Registrar
If you encounter any issues with registration or have questions, please contact Carrie Krause, Director of Lifespan Faith Development at email@example.com.